Re: [HACKERS] PID of backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PID of backend
Date: 1999-06-02 17:32:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Postgres 6.5 backend (current CVS) stop answering query

>>> every 300 000 cursor allocation so I wish to restart it every 100 000
>>> is there a way to do it simple than
>>> kill `ps ax | awk .....`

Why in the world do you want to use kill at all? If you want to get
rid of your current backend, just close the connection. I really doubt
that killing the postmaster is necessary or appropriate.

(Of course the real answer is to find a way to avoid the memory leak that
I suppose you are running into. But you haven't given us enough info
to offer any advice in that direction.)

> I need something usable inside program other than scanning process table.

There is a libpq function that will tell you the PID of the currently
connected backend: PQbackendPID. But it's not usually good for much
except debugging purposes.