Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date: 2007-11-08 16:13:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If someone submits a piece of code that's totally out of line with our
> standards, we will ask him to resubmit. This step could be avoided if
> he knew what those standards were in the first place.

True, but "make it look like what you see" is more than enough detail
for that purpose. We should not expend a lot of thought-bandwidth
on details that pgindent can fix.

> I also don't understand why pgindent is assumed to be some sort of
> silver bullet to solve all our coding style problems.

It certainly cannot fix high-level style issues, but issues like brace
placement and indenting it can deal with; and that seems to be what
too many people are talking about when they mention coding style.