Re: Multiple Instances

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Raymond <support(at)bigriverinfotech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple Instances
Date: 2001-12-10 04:53:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Raymond <support(at)bigriverinfotech(dot)com> writes:
> I would like to create a default pgsql directory in etc/skel (rh72) and have
> a postgres instance with unique port number available for each user.
> Although I am reasonably sure this is technically possible, what are the
> resource implications of a few dozen instances of Postgres on a single
> machine???

You could do that, but why not give each user a database within a single
postgres instance, instead?

With separate instances, you have to size each instance for the user's
peak resource consumption; with a shared instance you can assume that
not everyone will be pushing the limit at the same time.

AFAICS, the only drawback of a shared instance is that backend crashes
affect all users not just one. If your users are doing server-side code
development then that might be sufficient reason for partitioning them
into separate instances. But under ordinary usage, backend crashes
shouldn't happen.