Re: libpq work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq work
Date: 2000-07-10 05:58:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> But without those regression tests, it's a bit scary. I assume that the
> psql tests wouldn't fully exercise libpq what with the asynchonous stuff
> etc?

The regression tests don't come anywhere *near* full coverage of psql,
let alone libpq (which has many features psql never heard of).

I learned this the hard way awhile ago :-(. It's difficult to see how
to do regression testing of async behavior though, at least with the
simplistic test methods we have now.