Re: More on cursors in 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More on cursors in 7.3
Date: 2002-12-08 22:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> Now if I understood a bit more of what's going on here, at least I could
> document it...

Well, you could dig through backend/executor/node*.c and see which of
the node types pay attention to es_direction. To a first approximation
it looks like these do:

Functionscan
Append
Indexscan
Mergejoin
Limit
Material
Subqueryscan
Seqscan
Sort
Tidscan

although I have not thought about which other upper plan nodes might be
okay (ie, they're safe if their input nodes are). Also, a Material or
Sort node will hide any direction-unsafety in its input.