Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u
Date: 2018-04-27 17:34:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Another alternative would be to have a 'plpython' extension that depends
> on plpython2. That'd require users to specify CASCADE when creating it,
> but that actually seems like it could be a useful hint... I think it's
> probably not worth going that route though, because reassigning objects
> from one extension to another is more work than reasonable...

Yeah, there's a separate set of questions about what happens during
pg_upgrade of a database containing the existing plpythonu extension.

You could imagine hacking the dump/reload case by defining plpythonu
as an empty extension with a dependency on plpython2u (or, maybe
someday in future, a dependency on plpython3u). But that won't do
the trick for binary upgrades; we might need special-case code in
pg_dump/pg_upgrade to fix that.