Re: Using symbolic links with tablespaces

From: miller_2555 <nabble(dot)30(dot)miller_2555(at)spamgourmet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using symbolic links with tablespaces
Date: 2009-09-09 04:40:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane-2 wrote:

> miller_2555 <nabble(dot)30(dot)miller_2555(at)spamgourmet(dot)com> writes:
>> So this does not work well apparently.
>
> The only obvious thing wrong with your example is failing to preserve
> ownership/permissions of the moved files. I think the upper directories
> are probably not readable by Postgres so it's choking.
>
> BTW, Postgres *already* refers to tablespaces via symlinks, so you could
> do this with a tad less runtime overhead by re-pointing the appropriate
> symlink inside $PGDATA/pg_tblspc/.
>
> regards, tom lane
>
> --

Thanks for the tip on the overhead, I'll have to look into it. However, I
hadn't yet copied any files when running into issues with Postgres. I merely
removed the old symlink and created another (though it appears that I would
also have had to re-link the $PGDATA/pg_tblspc/ files as well since that
symlink would have probably broken upon deletion of the target symlink) . I
am still uncertain as to how the system tables are inconsistent, though (I
did not directly modify any of the system tables).

Thanks.