Re: Btree vs. GIN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jack Orenstein <jao(at)geophile(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Btree vs. GIN
Date: 2021-01-01 17:30:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Jack Orenstein <jao(at)geophile(dot)com> writes:
> I guess the top-level question is this: Is it possible in principle for the
> btree index to subsume GIN index capabilities?

Well, you could write a completely different index AM that happened to
share the same on-disk representation, perhaps. But it would be a
different AM. btree is built for scalar values and has none of the
mechanisms that GIN does for breaking down input values into
components-to-be-indexed, nor for analyzing complex query operators
to find out what indexable search conditions are implied.