Performance Tuning

From: "Darryl W(dot) DeLao Jr(dot)" <ddelao(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance Tuning
Date: 2006-02-17 19:01:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I wanted to check on my settings in my postgresql.conf file for a Dual Xeon
2.4 GHZ server with 6 GB of Ram.

I have max_connections set to 512, with shared buffers set to 1024. If I
set this any higher, postgres will not start. But, it seems that this
setting is not enough. Though the server runs fine, certain queries for
reports are taking anywhere from 40 to 55 seconds, and the CPU is only
topping out at 25%. Is there a way to make this better? My thinking is
that if more CPU was utilized then the query would run faster.

Thank you!