Re: BUG #18318: Different character codes are mixed in the log file in Japanese locale.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: gomikioshi(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18318: Different character codes are mixed in the log file in Japanese locale.
Date: 2024-01-31 15:38:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Different character codes are mixed in the log file in Japanese locale like
> following.

This is expected, if you're running an installation that has a mix of
different database encodings. Processes will log in whatever encoding
is used by the database they're connected to. Processes not connected
to any DB will log in the encoding suggested by the locale
environment. (At least that's how it works on Unix; less sure about
Windows.) There's not much we can do to change this. If we tried to
convert all these to a common encoding, what happens if the encoding
conversion fails?