Re: First draft of back-branch release notes is done

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First draft of back-branch release notes is done
Date: 2023-02-05 20:09:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
>> I think this sounds really scary, because people are going to think that
>> their stored data can get corrupted -- they don't necessarily know what
>> a "shared tuplestore" is. Maybe "Avoid query failures in parallel hash
>> joins" as headline?

Maybe less scary if we make it clear we're talking about a temporary file?

<para>
Fix edge-case corruption of temporary data within shared tuplestores
(Dmitry Astapov)
</para>

<para>
If the final chunk of a large tuple being written out to a temporary
file was exactly 32760 bytes, it would be corrupted due to a
fencepost bug. This is a hazard for parallelized plans that require
a tuplestore, such as parallel hash join. The query would typically
fail later with corrupted-data symptoms.
</para>