Re: BUG #12721: psql -a does not preserve empty lines between SELECTs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #12721: psql -a does not preserve empty lines between SELECTs
Date: 2015-01-31 23:00:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Huh --- I take that back; the "queries" and "errors" cases are implemented
> totally independently of "all" mode. The "all" mode does work on a line
> by line basis, and there's no good reason why it doesn't print blank
> lines, except that somebody wasn't thinking very hard about where they
> added the test. Will fix.

Or maybe not. It's a simple enough change, but it breaks all our
regression tests, which use -a and are not expecting blank lines to
get echoed. So I think I was right the first time: the existing behavior
is probably embedded in enough places that changing it would not be worth
the pain. Sorry.

> The documentation is wrong too, but not in the way I thought; it should
> say that interactive input is never echoed by this feature, rather than
> that it's "less useful" to turn it on for that.

This still needs fixed though ...