Proposal to add a QNX 6.5 port to PostgreSQL

From: "Baker, Keith [OCDUS Non-J&J]" <KBaker9(at)its(dot)jnj(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal to add a QNX 6.5 port to PostgreSQL
Date: 2014-07-25 20:16:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I propose that a QNX 6.5 port be introduced to PostgreSQL.

I am new to PostgreSQL development, so please bear with me.

I have made good progress (with 1 outstanding issue, details below):

* I created a QNX 6.5 port of PostgreSQL 9.3.4 which passes regression tests.

* I merged my changes into 9.4beta2, and with a few minor changes, it passes regression tests.

* QNX support states that QNX 6.5 SP1 binaries run on QNX 6.6 without modification, which I confirmed with a few quick tests.

Summary of changes required for PostgreSQL 9.3.4 on QNX 6.5:

* Typical changes required for any new port (template, configure.in, dynloader, etc.)

* QNX lacks System V shared memory: I created "src/backend/port/posix_shmem.c" which replaces System V calls (shmget, shmat, shmdt, ...) with POSIX calls (shm_open, mmap, munmap, shm_unlink)

* QNX lacks sigaction SA_RESTART: I modified "src/include/port.h" to define macros to retry system calls upon EINTR (open,read,write,...) when compiled on QNX

* A few files required addition of #include <sys/select.h> on QNX (for fd_set).

Additional changes required for PostgreSQL9.4beta2 on QNX 6.5:

* "DSM" changes introduced in 9.4 (R. Haas) required that I make minor updates to my new "posix_shmem.c" code.

* src\include\replication\logical.h: struct LogicalDecodingContext field "write" interferes with my "write" retry macro. Renaming field "write" to "do_write" solved this problem.

Outstanding Issue #1:
src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c :: createdb() complains when copying template1 to template0 (apparently a locale issue)
"FATAL: 22023: new LC_CTYPE (C;collate:POSIX;ctype:POSIX) is incompatible with the LC_CTYPE of the template database (POSIX;messages:C)"
I would appreciate help from an experienced PostgreSQL hacker to address this.
I have temporarily disabled this check on QNX (I can live with the assumption/limitation that template0 and template1 contain strictly ASCII).

I can work toward setting up a build farm member should this proposal be accepted.
Your feedback and guidance on next steps is appreciated.

Thank you.

Keith Baker