Re: Function to kill backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function to kill backend
Date: 2004-04-06 15:36:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> But are you saying it *is* safe with SIGTERM to a backend?

I'm saying I'm not happy about promoting that to the status of a
supported feature. Up to now it's always been "if it breaks you
get to keep both pieces", but if there's a built-in function to do it
then people will naturally expect a certain level of reliability.

Maybe it works fine, maybe it doesn't. But I foresee having to expend
work down the road because of this addition.