Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree"
Date: 2020-08-05 14:01:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=bcrgen_Purtz?= <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de> writes:
> We removed the indexing method "rtree" in version 8.3 and replaced it
> with "gist". Until today there are some "rtree" heritages:

> * "CREATE INDEX ... USING rtree ..." is valid syntax and leads to the
> message "NOTICE:  substituting access method gist for obsolete
> method rtree"
> * The documentation refers to the method in ref/comments.sgml and
> ref/create_index.sgml.
> * The documentation uses the term "R-Tree" in gist.sgml, seg.sgml, and
> xindex.sgml. That's ok because in this cases it refers to the
> abstract concept of R-trees and not to the eliminated implementation.

> Isn't it time to disallow this syntax and remove all references and
> messages?

Why? It's not hurting anything to continue the substitution in CREATE
INDEX. The example in comments.sgml is just an example, and is not
meant to reflect a built-in object any more than the adjacent examples
are.

Possibly the comment in seg.sgml should be adjusted to refer to GiST
indexes --- but then again, it's not entirely clear whether it's even
still relevant for GiST indexes. Perhaps it's talking about a deficiency
that was specific to the old rtree code.