Re: Stored procedures returning rowsets

From: "Jaroslaw Nozderko" <jaroslaw(dot)nozderko(at)polkomtel(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: "Mark Kirkwood" <markir(at)slingshot(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: "Pgsql-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stored procedures returning rowsets
Date: 2002-08-13 10:39:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Mark,

> Previously
>
> >Perhaps not all these factors are always important, but in big and
> >heavy loaded systems it's really unimaginable to send "raw" queries.
>
> Interesting,
>
> I have heard this often... mainly from SQL Server folk....
> I find it hard to understand what is bad about "raw" sql....
> here is why :
>
> As I understand it, every query goes through the stages of
> parse,execute, [and possibly fetch(es)].

I think there is also plan/optimize stage between parse and execute...
And it may be expensive. Another advantage of stored procedures
is possibility of encapsulating business logic on server side only.

Regards,
Jarek

Jaroslaw Nozderko
GSM +48 601131870 / Kapsch (22) 6075013
jaroslaw(dot)nozderko(at)polkomtel(dot)com(dot)pl
IT/CCBS/RS - Analyst Programmer