Re: Transaction aborts on syntax error.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction aborts on syntax error.
Date: 2004-02-13 00:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Rod Taylor wrote:
>> Can this be done entirely on the client side?
>>
>> Have psql silently wrap every statement going out with a BEGIN and a
>> COMMIT or ROLLBACK depending on whether there was an error or not?

> Yep, we could do it in the client like we do for autocommit.

Yeah, after more thought I think we probably want to insist that this be
driven off subtransaction BEGIN/COMMIT commands issued by the client.
Yesterday I suggested allowing a SET variable to change the behavior,
but I now realize that would be as bad a mistake as server-side
autocommit was: changing the installation default for such a variable
would break clients left and right.

So, whatever "error handling mode" conveniences we wish to put in should
be put in on the client side.