Re: [EXT]: Re: BUG #18604: Regression in PostgreSQL 16.4: pg_dump Prevents Essential System Table Modifications

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Basha <Basha(at)maxcontact(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bug List <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [EXT]: Re: BUG #18604: Regression in PostgreSQL 16.4: pg_dump Prevents Essential System Table Modifications
Date: 2024-09-07 15:43:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> That said, I’d need to go back and see the arguments for why we don’t just
> filter the list of globals to whatever the logged in role is capable of
> using.

Filtering roles this way would require a whole lot more thought,
and I doubt you could get away with just hiding roles that the current
user can't become. As an example, it would be sad if \df+ stopped
showing any built-in functions because it failed to join their
pg_proc.proowner to pg_roles.

In the particular case of \df+, it looks like it'd actually continue
to work because it goes through pg_get_userbyid() which wouldn't pay
any attention to RLS anyway. ACL display is another obvious place
that would leak role names. So there's also a boatload of questions
around leakage of the supposedly hidden roles.

pg_database is not nearly as entwined with the local catalogs, so
I think what I suggested would be enough in practice for that.