Re: psql is slow and it does not take much resources

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql is slow and it does not take much resources
Date: 2006-05-03 19:17:21
Lists: pgsql-general

>> However, I'm wondering if there's a practical limit to how many rows you
>> can insert within one transaction?

> There's a limit of (I think) 2-4 billion commands per transaction. Each
> command can insert any number of tuples.

> So if you're doing one tuple per command that limits you to a few
> billion inserts per transaction. Ofcourse, COPY is always faster
> still...

If you have any deferred triggers (including foreign keys) on the table
then the practical limit is likely to be a lot less, say in the few
millions. However, in a bulk data load situation you probably don't
need to have such triggers; it's better to establish the constraint
after you load the data.

BTW, has the OP read
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/populate.html
? Much of this thread seems to be rehashing that page ...