Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: Fernando Flores Prior <fprior(at)tlaloc(dot)imta(dot)mx>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection
Date: 2003-05-14 16:37:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org> writes:
> Fernando Flores Prior <fprior(at)tlaloc(dot)imta(dot)mx> writes:
>> So, it is safe then to use ODBC for an Internet connection ?
>> I'm in doubt about that, mainly because of the lag involved
>> on this kind of network and its transient failures that may
>> cause a disconnection.

> It's as safe as any other API--as I said, there's only one wire
> protocol used by all libraries. Lag will just slow things down but
> should not cause any data loss. If your connection drops too often
> due to packet loss there isn't much you can do about that at the PG
> level--get a better network connection. :)

However, from a security standpoint I don't think there's any question
that you want to use SSL encryption for any database connection that
passes over the open Internet. I seem to recall that the ODBC driver
(still) doesn't support SSL --- if so, that would be reason enough not
to use it. Or to invest the effort to fix it.