Re: How can i be certain autovacuum is causing reuse if table still grows

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can i be certain autovacuum is causing reuse if table still grows
Date: 2020-07-28 05:15:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

> All lines even old ones might be updated by our application.

Ah.  Even so, there are benefits to maintaining "lots of smaller chunks"
instead of One Giant Table: "pg_dump --jobs=X" will run faster, for example,
when there are more small-to-mid-sized tables instead of A Few Giant
Tables.  Ditto "reindexdb --jobs=X".

Given that even "old" records get updated, I'd look into some other key that
you can "naturally" partition on.