Re: COPY error when \. char

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Nicolas Paris <niparisco(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY error when \. char
Date: 2018-03-20 13:29:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/20/2018 04:32 AM, Nicolas Paris wrote:
> Hello
>
> I get an error when loading this kind of csv:
>
>> test.csv:
> "hello ""world"""
> "\."
> "this
> works
> "
> "this
> \.
> does
> not"
>
>> table:
> create table test (field text);
>
>> sql:
> \copy test (field) from 'test.csv' CSV quote '"' ESCAPE '"';
> ERROR: unterminated CSV quoted field
> CONTEXTE : COPY test, line 7: ""this
> "
>
> Apparently, having the \. string in a single line make it break.
> Is this normal ?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-copy.html
"Because backslash is not a special character in the CSV format, \., the
end-of-data marker, could also appear as a data value. To avoid any
misinterpretation, a \. data value appearing as a lone entry on a line
is automatically quoted on output, and on input, if quoted, is not
interpreted as the end-of-data marker. If you are loading a file created
by another application that has a single unquoted column and might have
a value of \., you might need to quote that value in the input file."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com