Re: [EXT EMAIL] Re: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and Having Problems

From: Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Brent Bates <BBates(at)langleyfcu(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [EXT EMAIL] Re: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and Having Problems
Date: 2019-06-20 15:34:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/20/19 11:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Brent Bates <BBates(at)langleyfcu(dot)org> writes:
>> I found the problem. I cleared everything out and started from scratch, then slowly added my changes back to the configuration files. The problem was in the postgresql.conf. At the bottom of the file I had uncommented all the ‘include’ lines, so they looked like this:
>> include_dir = '' # include files ending in '.conf' from
>> # a directory, e.g., 'conf.d'
>> include_if_exists = '' # include file only if it exists
>> include = '' # include file
>
>> The first one is what caused all the headaches. I recommented out these lines and everything works now. Thanks for all the quick suggestions.
>
> Ah-hah! I wonder if we should disallow empty values for these GUCs?
> And/or put in some kind of test for recursive opening of the same
> config file? I don't think it'd occurred to anyone that it's this
> easy to get the code to try to do that.

Funnily enough I was looking at that code the other day for totally other
reasons and vaguely wondered if there was any potential for circular
inclusions and the like. There's a check for nesting depth, but I'm not
sure what else. I could take a look in the next few days if no-one else
wants to.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--