Re: Unrecognized exception condition "deprecated_feature"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kouber Saparev <kouber(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres Bug <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unrecognized exception condition "deprecated_feature"
Date: 2018-03-09 22:44:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Kouber Saparev <kouber(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> For some reason using an error code of 'deprecated_feature' does not work,
>> while its equivalent '01P01' works just fine.

> While I haven't looked at the source code or docs for this I'm wondering
> why you believe this is a bug in the first place.

This isn't specific to ERRCODE_WARNING_DEPRECATED_FEATURE; if you look
at generate-plerrcodes.pl you'll see it only collects error codes, not
warning codes, for use in plpgsql's mapping table. It's documented, too:
Appendix A says

(Note that PL/pgSQL does not recognize warning, as opposed to error,
condition names; those are classes 00, 01, and 02.)

I'm not entirely sure why we have this errcode at all, as it doesn't
seem to be used anywhere.