Re: pg, mysql comparison with "group by" clause

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg, mysql comparison with "group by" clause
Date: 2005-10-13 18:49:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent that depends on the
assumption that the above is a correct statement. It's not. It *was*
true, in SQL92, but SQL99 lets you omit unnecessary GROUP BY columns.

The gripe against mysql, I think, is that they don't enforce the
conditions that guarantee the query will give a unique result.

The gripe against postgres is that we haven't implemented the SQL99
semantics yet.