Re: [SQL] VACUUM PROBLEM

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dipankar Chakrabarti <dipanc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] VACUUM PROBLEM
Date: 1999-12-01 16:19:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dipankar Chakrabarti <dipanc(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I am having problem while doing vacuum.

> The error message is as follows:

> NOTICE: Rel queuestatval: Pages: 2 --> 1; Tuple(s)
> moved: 16. Elapsed 0/0 sec.
> NOTICE: BlowawayRelationBuffers(queuestatval, 1):
> block 1 is referenced (private 0, last 0, global 1)
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel
> unexpectedly. This probably means the backend
> terminated abnormally before or while processing the
> request.

If you look in the postmaster log file, you should find additional info
about the crash. 6.5.* libpq has a bug that makes it discard the last
backend error message if it sees an unexpected channel closure :-(.
So there is probably at least one error message that you're not seeing
on the client side --- but it should be there in the log file.

regards, tom lane