Re: Re: Data type confusion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Data type confusion
Date: 2001-08-06 21:50:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> I don't want to go through a bunch of non-ANSI SQL-compliant conversion
> functions to do it. Especially not as this is just what the ANSI SQL
> data type and operator specs are designed to support.

Curiously enough, ANSI doesn't define an INTERVAL-divided-by-INTERVAL
function either. Also, it rather looks like ANSI adopted the position
Peter E. expressed:

Year-month intervals are mutually comparable only with other year-
month intervals. [...]
Day-time intervals are mutually comparable only with other day-
time intervals. [...]
Operations involving items of type datetime require that the date-
time items be mutually comparable. Operations involving items of
type interval require that the interval items be mutually compara-
ble.