Regress tests reveal *serious* psql bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Regress tests reveal *serious* psql bug
Date: 2000-01-09 04:21:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Now that we can run the regress tests using the new psql,
I was dismayed to discover that the arrays regress test
fails with it. The perfectly valid query

SELECT arrtest.a[1:3],
arrtest.b[1:1][1:2][1:2],
arrtest.c[1:2],
arrtest.d[1:1][1:2]
FROM arrtest;

fails with

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "]"

Turning on postmaster -d reveals that what is arriving at
the backend is

SELECT arrtest.a[1],
arrtest.b[1][1][1],
arrtest.c[1],
arrtest.d[1][1]]
FROM arrtest

Needless to say, this transformation of the query
is several miles to the south of acceptable.

Over to you, Peter...