Re: Loading table with indexed jsonb field is stalling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Will Hartung <willhartung(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Loading table with indexed jsonb field is stalling
Date: 2019-05-20 18:12:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Will Hartung <willhartung(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On May 18, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> In addition to the questions about what PG version you're using, is
>> the backend process that's doing the load actually consuming CPU time,
>> or is it just sitting?

> It’s consuming both CPU and disk space.

Hmm, so not a deadlock (plus you're running a version that has that
bug fixed). It sounds like you might have hit an actual bug, perhaps
one that causes it to endlessly re-split an index page, or something
along that line. But it's going to be hard to find the cause without
a test case. I don't suppose you can anonymize your data to the
point where you'd have a publishable test case?