Re: BUG #4787: Hardlink (ln) causes startup failure with bizarre "timezone_abbreviations" error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark <admin(at)asarian-host(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4787: Hardlink (ln) causes startup failure with bizarre "timezone_abbreviations" error
Date: 2009-05-02 22:59:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Mark <admin(at)asarian-host(dot)net> writes:
> Interesting. Yet, as I reported earlier, whilst a symlink does seem to start
> the server, pg_ctl takes a long time to do so, and then report: "could not
> start server" anyway. But it actually *does* get started. So I figured maybe
> something was not entirely right with the symlink, either.

That sounds like pg_ctl isn't finding the postmaster's socket file ...
were you playing games with the location of that, too? pg_ctl is not
terribly bright about relocated socket files (in particular, it does
not read the postmaster's postgresql.conf, so a nonstandard setting
there for unix_socket_directory will confuse it).