Re: Problems with authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frans Haarman <frans(at)haarman(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with authentication
Date: 2003-01-22 21:55:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Frans Haarman <frans(at)haarman(dot)com> writes:
> I tried:
> local all password
> but then it asks for a password when booting the server, and I would
> like to have this done automaticly.

You could tell the pg_ctl script not to try to check whether the
postmaster started; then it won't need to connect and so won't need
a password. I forget the switch for this, but it's in the docs.

But in general, password auth is a pain in the neck for all admin
duties. I agree with Bruno Wolff's suggestion to look at alternative
auth methods. "ident" on local connections is secure, if your operating
system supports it.