Re: BUG #17071: ORDER BY gets ignored when result set has only one row, but another one gets added by rollup()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tobias Wendorff <tobias(dot)wendorff(at)tu-dortmund(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17071: ORDER BY gets ignored when result set has only one row, but another one gets added by rollup()
Date: 2021-06-23 21:48:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tobias Wendorff <tobias(dot)wendorff(at)tu-dortmund(dot)de> writes:
> To keep a long discussion short: you classify it as a wontfix.
> Since I've already supplied a workaround (using a subquery or CTE),
> let's close it.

[ shrug... ] If you intend to take such a totally uncooperative
approach, then I can't help you.

I did *not* say this is a "wontfix". I said it's not easy to fix.
There is a large difference. What I was wondering about was whether
we could find an easier change that would help your actual use-case.
But, since you're not seeing fit to provide further detail, you'll
just have to wait till we can create a fix for the case as presented.
That's likely to be a year or two down the pike.