Re: BUG #18242: pg_dump with non-superuser from pg14 to pg15 fails on ALTER FUNCTION

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Wetmore, Matthew (CTR)" <Matthew(dot)Wetmore(at)express-scripts(dot)com>
Cc: Aksel Allas <allasaksel(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18242: pg_dump with non-superuser from pg14 to pg15 fails on ALTER FUNCTION
Date: 2023-12-12 16:55:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Wetmore, Matthew (CTR)" <Matthew(dot)Wetmore(at)express-scripts(dot)com> writes:
> What about a whole new user type:
> An 'Admin' account that isn't a super user, but just has dump/ elevated permissions /customizable.

[ shrug... ] Maybe, but there's a mighty lot of devils hiding in
the details. Exactly what special privileges would this user type
need? How would we convince ourselves (and more to the point,
convince the cloud providers) that such a set of privileges is
safe to give out? Poking holes in the privilege model is usually
a good way to create security hazards.

BTW, please keep the list cc'd.