Re: [HACKERS] CVS 3-22-99 \d broken?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Thompson <jamest(at)math(dot)ksu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CVS 3-22-99 \d broken?
Date: 1999-03-23 15:47:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

James Thompson <jamest(at)math(dot)ksu(dot)edu> writes:
> [ psql's \d not working right ]

Hmm, it works OK for me on sources from Sunday --- and a quick check
shows no interesting changes since then. Either you've found a
platform-specific bug, or you didn't rebuild correctly after cvs update.

Doing a partial rebuild after an update is risky because the Postgres
makefiles are sloppy about declaring all dependencies. (You can
improve matters by doing "make depend", if you are using gcc, but I'm
not sure that will solve the problem entirely.) I usually play the
game conservatively by doing make distclean and a full rebuild after
an update, unless I see that the changes were very localized.