Re: how to synchronize database operations?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Markus Wagner <magnus(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to synchronize database operations?
Date: 2002-08-15 16:47:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Markus Wagner <magnus(at)gmx(dot)de> writes:
> Well, the only thing I need to get happy would be the implementation of
> postmaster_still_active

I'd just do sleep(1) and assume that the backend is gone by then.

If you are on the same machine as the backend then you could remember
the backend PID (libpq can tell you this before you close the
connection) and watch to see when that process exits. But from a remote
machine I don't think you can really tell, and it's not worth trying
hard IMHO.