Re: pgindent (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgindent (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.)
Date: 2017-06-13 16:22:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me> writes:
>> There's also the portability issues: __FBSDID() and bcopy() and
>> <sys/cdefs.h> [and err.h].

> I think that's fixed as well.

I just finished some preliminary portability testing and things look
much improved. The Makefile is still BSD-ish of course, but I think
we'll just agree to disagree there. The only thing I could find to
quibble about is that on old macOS versions I get

In file included from indent.c:49:
indent_globs.h:222:1: warning: "STACKSIZE" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/machine/param.h:30,
from /usr/include/sys/param.h:104,
from indent.c:42:
/usr/include/ppc/param.h:53:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Maybe you could rename that symbol to IND_STACKSIZE or some such?

Also, I am wondering about the test cases under tests/. I do not
see anything in the Makefile or elsewhere suggesting how those are
to be used. It would sure be nice to have some quick smoke-test
to check that a build on a new platform is working.