Re: performance of loading CSV data with COPY is 50 times faster than Perl::DBI

From: Ravi Krishna <ravikrishna(at)vivaldi(dot)net>
To: bret_stern(at)machinemanagement(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance of loading CSV data with COPY is 50 times faster than Perl::DBI
Date: 2020-02-03 18:42:08
Lists: pgsql-general

> "already suffering from a complex of coding in an unreadable language"
>
> hearsay and conjecture

I was somewhat facetious. But what finished perl was the reputation it earned that it is a write only
language. I don't think that reputation it earned is without merit.

IMO the early adopters of perl were sysadmins and other non programmers who didn't do a stellar
job in writing a highly readable code. To make it worse, perl folks take it as a badge of honor to
write their code in most obfuscated manner. They even get some recognition for that.