Re: Fedora 16 note...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jerry Levan <jerry(dot)levan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fedora 16 note...
Date: 2011-11-11 03:50:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Jerry Levan <jerry(dot)levan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> On 11/10/2011 11:10 PM, Jerry Levan wrote:
>>> I found that postgresql would not start at boot time until
>>> I did:
>>> systemctl enable postgresql.service

>> That's Fedora policy: don't start a service unless the user asks for it to be started.

> This is the first time I have had to manually enable a service like postgresql and httpd
> since Fedora 4. I guess this is mostly from the systemd take over...

It's exactly from the systemd takeover. Traditionally a system upgrade
would preserve your sysv "chkconfig" settings for which services to
autostart, but there is a specific policy in place to not do that when a
service is transitioned to systemd. The reasoning was that in many cases
the configuration mechanisms are changing at the same time (for
instance, postgresql no longer pays attention to /etc/sysconfig/) and
autostarting a possibly-now-misconfigured daemon seemed like a bad idea.