Re: real and effective user ids must match

From: david(dot)lao(at)sharpasia(dot)com(dot)mo
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, david(dot)lao(at)sharpasia(dot)com(dot)mo
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: real and effective user ids must match
Date: 2006-09-15 03:13:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Thanks, I will try to upgrade new viersion, the ouput of <su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster start> is
<
postmaster successfully started
/usr/bin/postmaster: real and effective user ids must match

the problem start after I restart the postgres service, there are nothing change in postmaster since last time.

Best,
David

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 09:49:42AM +0800, david(dot)lao(at)sharpasia(dot)com(dot)mo wrote:
> I am running postgresql 7.2.2-1.

If you're going to run 7.2 then you should run the latest version,
7.2.8, because earlier versions have serious data-loss bugs. But
since 7.2 is no longer supported, I'd recommend upgrading to a
modern version like 8.1.4 as soon as possible.

As for getting the postmaster running, what's the output of the su
command that I've requested a couple of times? When did this problem
start? What has changed since the last time the postmaster started
successfully?

--
Michael Fuhr