Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, Matt Miller <pgsql(at)mattmillersf(dot)fastmail(dot)fm>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype
Date: 2007-02-14 16:09:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> ANYENUM? What's the use-case for that?

> Well ... *somebody* suggested it here ...
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-11/msg00457.php

Well, in that usage (ie, for enum I/O functions) it's not actually
necessary that the type system as a whole understand ANYENUM as
"something that any enum type can be cast to", because you're going to
hot-wire the pg_type entries during CREATE ENUM anyway. What I'm
wondering is if there's a use-case for it during ordinary user
operations with enums.