Re: undefined symbol when installing pgcrypto on 16.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: undefined symbol when installing pgcrypto on 16.1
Date: 2024-01-25 00:45:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Writing or debugging makefiles is something I haven't done much of,
> but as best I can figure out the problem is that the libcrypto.so file
> isn't being linked in, though this line in the Makefile in pgcrypto
> seems to say should be:

> SHLIB_LINK += $(filter -lcrypto -lz, $(LIBS))

> I'm guessing it is supposed to pick up the LIBS list from the top
> Makefile, but isn't.

What that does is to select "-lcrypto" (and "-lz", but that's not
relevant now) out of the LIBS variable. The configure script
should have included that in LIBS if you specified
--with-openssl, but maybe it failed to. Can you check the
configured value of LIBS (in src/Makefile.global) to see?

If it's not there, it would be useful to see the contents of
the config.log log file.