Re: Numeric Scale Differences

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nuno Sousa <nunofgs(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Numeric Scale Differences
Date: 2021-10-21 14:06:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

Nuno Sousa <nunofgs(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I've run into an interesting issue when trying to do numeric math. I
> expected the following to return the same number of decimal digits in the
> fractional part:

> select scale(1/0.6::numeric), scale(1/6::numeric);

Um ... why did you expect that? The inputs to the divisions have
different scales:

# select scale(0.6::numeric), scale(6::numeric);
scale | scale
1 | 0
(1 row)

so I find it unsurprising that the outputs do too. Now the fact
that the output scales differ by 4 not 1 is indeed an implementation
artifact. It stems from the numeric type working with base-10000
digits, so that scales that are multiples of 4 are most efficient,
hence division will always choose such an output scale.