Re: BUG #15232: Query execution changes based on using 'explain analyze' or not

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jgardner(at)comprehend(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15232: Query execution changes based on using 'explain analyze' or not
Date: 2018-06-07 16:08:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

=?utf-8?q?PG_Bug_reporting_form?= <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Testing behavior of parallel scans in 10.4 (looking to upgrade from 9.4) and
> I'm only seeing parallel execution if I use "explain analyze".

I can't reproduce this here, at least not when submitting the queries
through psql. I speculate that you're using some client-side environment
that is somehow disabling parallelism for DML but not within a utility
command like EXPLAIN ... but it's not very clear what that could be.
Please provide a more worked-out example, and be concrete about how
you're submitting both the EXPLAIN and the actual query.