Re: Speaking of pgstats

From: Agent M <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speaking of pgstats
Date: 2006-04-06 00:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> The general idea would be to still use UDP backend->stats but get rid
>> of
>> the pipe part (emulated by standard tcp sockets on win32), so we'd
>> still
>> have the "lose packets instead of blocking when falling behind".
>
> Right.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but using UDP logging on the same
computer is a red herring. Any non-blocking I/O would do, no? If the
buffer is full, then the non-blocking I/O send function will fail and
the message is skipped.

Has anyone observed UDP ever drop *written* packets on loopback?
Looking at the Darwin 8 sources, it appears that the loopback streams
all converge to the same stream code, which makes sense...

If a kernel is too busy to handle I/O, doesn't it have higher
priorities than switching to a user context?