Re: Tooling for per table autovacuum tuning

From: MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
To: Joseph Hammerman <joe(dot)hammerman(at)datadoghq(dot)com>
Cc: Wolfgang Wilhelm <wolfgang20121964(at)yahoo(dot)de>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Tooling for per table autovacuum tuning
Date: 2023-03-12 20:43:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Why don't you just monitor pg_stat_user_tables.n_dead_tup on a regular
basis and increase autovacuum aggressiveness based on that at the global
level (postgresql.conf - thresholds) or set autovacuum parms at the
table level for customized cases.

Regards,
Michael Vitale

Joseph Hammerman wrote on 3/12/2023 4:34 PM:
> Hi all,
>
> Apologies for any confusion I may have caused. What I am imagining is
> per table tuning that buckets the tables based on their relative sizes.
>
> Something like:
>
> Up to 1Gb - Small
> Up to 4Gb - Medium
> Up to 8Gb - L
> Bigger - XL
>
> And an accordant autovacuum_scale_factor associated with each size.
>
> The motivation for this is to make sure large tables get regularly
> vacuumed.
>
> I hope that clears thing up!
> Joe
>
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Wolfgang Wilhelm
> <wolfgang20121964(at)yahoo(dot)de <mailto:wolfgang20121964(at)yahoo(dot)de>> wrote:
>
> I think Mr Hammerman is referring to T-shirts for user stories.
>
> But even when I'm right I don't get what is meant with that. I
> don't get what Joe means with "autovacuuming profiles per table".
> Joe, can you elaborate on that?
>
> Yours
> Wolfgang
>
> Am Sonntag, 12. März 2023 um 14:47:42 MEZ hat Laurenz Albe
> <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at <mailto:laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>>
> Folgendes geschrieben:
>

> On Sat, 2023-03-11 at 10:49 -0800, Joseph Hammerman wrote:
>
> > I would like to define t-shirt sizes and have an
> autovacuuming profile associated with each t-shirt size.
> >
> > Is there any tooling out there that assists in the execution
> side of this? Or are all of you rolling your own?
>

> Isn't that question 21 days early?
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Regards,

Michael Vitale

Michaeldba(at)sqlexec(dot)com <mailto:michaelvitale(at)sqlexec(dot)com>

703-600-9343