pg_dump failed with error code 255, but I don't see why

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump failed with error code 255, but I don't see why
Date: 2022-09-22 14:19:39
Lists: pgsql-general

v9.6.2.23

I always run pg_dump with the --verbose option, and the bash script echos
$?, so there's a 25,664 line log file for me to examine which explicitly
shows the return code.

But however much I search the log file for strings like ERROR, FATAL, WARN,
INFO, and "archiver", I don't see any problems.

What else should I look for?