Re: Trouble with Savepoints in postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sam <sam(dot)mahindrakar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble with Savepoints in postgres
Date: 2008-03-15 17:03:15
Lists: pgsql-general

sam <sam(dot)mahindrakar(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Ok i realised that the only way data can be committed within a
> procedure is to use nested BEGIN......END.

Nothing that you said in this message is correct. You can't "commit"
anything within a function, and bare BEGIN/END don't do anything at
all except create a syntactic grouping.

BEGIN/EXCEPT/END can indeed be used to limit the scope of errors,
but I don't think the way you've described it is a helpful way
to think about it, even with that correction.