Re: pgsql: Fix several one-byte buffer over-reads in to_number

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix several one-byte buffer over-reads in to_number
Date: 2016-08-09 15:04:34
Lists: pgsql-committers

Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me> writes:
> I've been meaning to update my patch like this, but didn't want to
> bother you before trying to find more issues with formatting.c (still
> haven't found the time for that, sadly):

> - if (*Np->inout_p == ' ')
> + while (!OVERLOAD_TEST && isspace((unsigned char) *Np->inout_p))
> Np->inout_p++;

Meh. I agree that replacing the "== ' '" test with isspace() would be
an improvement, since that seems to be the way it's done elsewhere in
formatting.c. But changing this into a loop, so that it's willing to
consume any amount of whitespace, is a nontrivial change in the
specification of to_number(). I'm not at all sure it's a good idea;
IMO the point of to_number() is to parse numbers according to a fairly
tightly controlled format.

I'd even argue that unconditionally consuming a single space is the wrong
thing here. Rather, I think what this is meant to be doing is treating a
space as one of the possible alternatives for a sign character, and so
instead of this what the code ought to be is an alternative on the same
footing as '+' or '-', a few lines down:

else if (*Np->inout_p == '+')
{
*Np->number = '+'; /* set + */
Np->inout_p++;
}
+ else if (isspace((unsigned char) *Np->inout_p))
+ {
+ *Np->number = '+'; /* set + */
+ Np->inout_p++;
+ }