Re: BUG #13660: serializable snapshotting hangs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Pacejo <cpacejo(at)clearskydata(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13660: serializable snapshotting hangs
Date: 2015-10-07 14:08:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> writes:
> The Serializable Snapshot Isolation techniques only work on top of
> MVCC snapshot isolation. At the time of the SSI patch, catalogs
> were not accessed according to those rules, so we excluded them
> from SSI handling -- it just could not have worked in a meaningful
> way. (So catalog access is currently identical under REPEATABLE
> READ and SERIALIZABLE transaction isolation levels.)

Really? "SELECT * FROM pg_database" will ignore SSI?

I agree that the system's own catalog accesses don't pay attention
to SSI, and probably can't because of concerns about needing to see
fully up-to-date data. But that's not my question. My point is
that userland snapshots can be used to examine shared catalogs,
and even update them if you're a superuser.