Re: Problem with locks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with locks
Date: 2007-08-12 16:03:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've written a synthetic test program to check for lost semaphore wakeups.

Seems to me this proves nothing much, since it doesn't use the same SysV
semaphore API PG does. Please adjust so that it looks more like our
code --- in particular there should be multiple processes having
semaphores in the same semid group.

Also, I think you have race conditions at shutdown --- the appearance of
the "thread %d lost a wakeup" message would not convince me there was
a bug in the least. You need to make sure the workers exit at a known
point in their loop.